Warranty Direct uses site performance, anonymous analytical and targeting advertising cookies on this site. By accepting, you are agreeing to the use of these cookies. See our cookie policy for more information and how to block them if you wish. Blocking cookies may mean you experience reduced functionality.



When can I buy GAP Cover Insurance from you?

You can buy GAP Cover Insurance at any time for cars under 10 years old and with less than 120,000 recorded miles. It will also need to meet the eligibility criteria of our insurance options below.

  • Return to Invoice cover is available for new or used cars valued up to £80,000 and that have been bought from a dealer within the last 3 months.
  • Return to Value cover is available for cars valued under £80,000 that are bought privately or from a dealership and have been owned for more than 3 months.

I bought my car from a private individual, can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

You can still buy Return to Value cover from us if your car was bought privately.

What is the maximum value of car you can accept on cover?

Cars valued up to £80,000 can be covered under all our GAP Cover Insurance products.

What is the claim limit for GAP Cover Insurance?

The claim limit is £30,000 or the invoice price or recorded value of the car when you purchase GAP Cover insurance, whichever is the lower amount.

What sort of motor insurance cover should I have in order to be eligible to claim under GAP Cover Insurance?

Comprehensive Motor Insurance is required in order to purchase the policy, and make a claim.

What are the main exclusions of the cover?
  • Vehicles used for pacemaking, speed testing, competitive events or for hire or reward, and certain makes/types of vehicle.
  • Vehicles modified other than in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.
  • Vehicles at any time previously declared a category A, B, C, D, S or N write off.
  • Where the vehicle was written off while you, or a person with your consent to drive the vehicle, was under the influence of alcohol/drugs. o Where the vehicle is not deemed a total loss and/or there is not a valid claim on your car insurance.
A "total loss" settlement needs to be made by my motor insurer in order for me to claim under GAP Cover Insurance, what is a "total loss"?

In general, your car will be declared a "total loss" (or "write off") by your comprehensive motor insurer if it cannot be repaired to its pre-accident condition, or if the cost of this repair equals or exceeds a percentage of the current value of the car. Also, in the event your car is stolen and not recovered.

What is the cooling off period?

Once you have received your policy documents, we operate a 14 day cooling off period which allows you to cancel your policy. If you cancel during this period, you will receive a full refund of any premium you have paid – subject to having made no claims on your policy.

Outside of this 14 day cooling off period, any refunds will be based on a pro rata calculation. This means that providing no successful claim has been made during that year, we will refund an equal amount of premium for each day from the day you asked us to cancel your policy up to the original policy expiry date.

For example, if you cancel a 12-month policy after 100 days we would refund the remaining 265 days of the original 365 days of the policy.

Please note, no refund will be due for a policy year where there has been a successful claim. A full refund of premium for any future years will be made as part of the pro-rata calculation.

For any cancellations outside the cooling off period, a £50 cancellation charge will also be deducted from any refund.

I am employed by a motor dealership. Can I buy Warranty Direct GAP Cover Insurance on my family car?

Yes. Provided the vehicle is used as your personal transport and is insured on a specific private motor vehicle fully comprehensive motor insurance policy, you may buy GAP Cover Insurance.

My vehicle is insured under a motor trader's insurance policy. Can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

No. Motor trader's All Risks or Road Risks policies typically cover vehicles owned / stocked by the business on a trade-value basis, which does not meet the underwriter's requirements - please refer to the definition of Motor Insurance Policy in the specimen GAP Cover Insurance policy accessible via the "Policy Documents" page.

My motorhome has a gross vehicle weight of 4200kg. Can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

No, sorry, GAP Cover Insurance is currently limited to vehicles with a maximum Gross Vehicle Weight of 3500kg.

I'm leasing my vehicle on a Personal Lease / Contract Hire agreement. Can I still buy GAP Cover Insurance?

No. Currently, we're unable to accept leased vehicles for GAP Cover Insurance.

Get a Quote